Thursday, September 15, 2005

Visual Studio.NET and Nant

UPDATE 10/5/2005

I figured out why I was getting the BC2010 error finally. I decided to isolate the failing build project into it's own directory and determine what the differences were between it and the Visual Studio build. As soon as I reloaded the project in VS.NET, I started getting errors that the signature was incorrect on the methods I was implementing for an interface. Upon further investigation I realized that I had renamed the dll in Nant when it was copied to my lib directory. So the interface that I was implementing referenced the DLL as one name internally, MSDocument.dll, and the library I was trying to build had a reference to it as well as MyCompanyDocumentStructures.dll. Although the contents were the same, I assume the name difference affected the signature enough that I was unable to implement it with a different name. Some sort of compiler information on the error would have been much more helpful but at least I know what was going wrong. I guess the moral of the story is to isolate the problem and then compare the vbproj file to the nant build file and figure out where you have differences. I am now looking forward to taking full advantage of Nant without vbc compiler errors.

Thursday, September 1, 2005

GUID's are mangled passing through DB2 DAAB in Enterprise Library

Continuing my work on the DB2 interface for my application using the DB2 DAAB, I am working extensively with GUID's. The probelm I am running into is that somehow, the Byte Array conversion or DB2 itself is changing the GUID value when it is added to the database. I have a simple Stored Procedure in DB2 that accepts a CHAR(16) FOR BIT DATA. This is handled under the covers by the AddParameter Method keyed by the dbType.GUID field. A conversion takes place from a GUID to a binary byte array.continued...

Here is the code from db2Commandwrapper.cs:
[code lang='vb']
case DbType.Guid:
guidParameters.Add(param.ParameterName, "System.Guid");
param.DB2Type = DB2Type.Binary;
param.Size = 16;
// convert Guid value to byte array only if not null
if ((value is DBNull) || (value == null))
param.Value = Convert.DBNull;
param.Value = ((Guid)value).ToByteArray();

Now here is the weird part, lets say I supply a GUID of value 9c1fcfe7-d68e-4a6d-b395-823bac3022f7. I run it through my stored procedure:
[code lang='sql']
-- SQL Stored Procedure



and it comes out as as x'E7CF1F9C8ED66D4AB395823BAC3022F7'. The first 16 characters are somehow changed. Weird. If I run a select statement against it from CLP, it will not match. However, if I used a parameterized query that runs the same GUID back through the db2Commandwrapper conversion function, it matches. This will cause problems if I try to run a standard GetSqlStringCommandWrapper without using a parameterized value for the GUID.

I posted this same information to the Enterprise Library Newsgroups. Maybe I will get some feedback.