|Stock image of the female Micro-USB|
I ordered 2 micro-usb female connectors from Adafruit. There are cheaper versions on Amazon but these had large connector tabs for soldering and gave me a stronger point for connection.
I removed the 4 screws in the base of the feeder and opened it up to find a very easy and spacious working environment with clear pathways and simple clamp on connectors for the power leads.
Next I needed to determine the polarity of the USB cable and verify I was getting the expected 5V.
I cut some wire and soldered it to the micro-USB port, then did a sanity check to make sure I was getting power through the wires.
With everything in place, I routed the wiring through the hole, slid the included port cover over the remaining connector body and slathered the port with hot-glue to hold everything in place, provide support and electrical isolation.
I disconnected the clamps from the battery terminals and curled the ends of the jumper wires I had soldered to the USB port so they would fit nicely in said clamps. I gave them a little squeeze with my pliers and slid the isolation covers over the connector.
My next challenge will be to provide battery backup in case the power goes out.